Hôpital Albert Schweitzer, Haiti
Since the devastating earthquake in Haiti on 12th January 2010 the Hilfswerk GL Zürich has supported the Hôpital Albert Schweitzer (HAS) in Haiti. The hospital, founded in 1956, is in Deschapelles, 80 kilometers north of the capital Port-au-Prince. Since autumn 2010 the medical management has been in the hands of Dr. Silvia Ernst, a Swiss doctor. To more than 300’000 impoverished people in the Artibonite Valley HAS offers a health care system as well as various development programmes for the rural population. Its comprehensive health care system is groundbreaking for health care in developing countries.
Since the earthquake, the significance of the hospital has become even greater. With its modern workshop for the fashioning and fitting of prostheses and the wide range of rehabilitation and physical therapies offered, HAS provides professional treatment to a vast number of arm- and leg-amputated earthquake victims.